Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Skunk sway bar ripped from cross member...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member A-dub5513's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2000
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Haven't been aroung for ages, and I searched and searched without any results. After switching from RSR race springs to H&R street springs, my sway bar ripped out/off the flimsy cross member sheet metal. This was yeears ago. The car plunges, pitches, and plows like an old Caddie!

    Question: anyone recall a tried and true fix? I remember topics about two types of reinforcement kits (don't remember the brand).

    I'm curious, can I patch the hole, reinforce it with one of these kits, and keep my 22mm Skunk bar, OR have a new cross-member welded and buy a new, less aggressive sway bar?

    I'm thinking the former solution, in theory, should work because the kit reinforces a much larger area around the sway bar mounting points. More importantly, I don't have to buy BOTH the cross-member AND a new sway bar. Less $$$!!!

    But will it work?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member rmcdaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2005
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen where people have had the ripped part welded. I use the Beak's kit with a 24mm Mugen bar and haven't had any problems. I run Skunk2 coilover sleeves over Koni Yellow shocks.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member A-dub5513's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2000
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I've done a little research a while back...and it seems the debate is between the Beak's kit, or A-spec's reinforcement plate.

    In my case, though, sub-frame tear-out HAS already happened. I've boiled it down to two hypothetical solutions:

    1: Repair/replace subframe. Is it possible to have this piece partially repaired? Basically, tear-out thrashed the mounting holes to where the D-bracket mounts the bar.

    2: I've had some people tell me that I shouldn't even have to worry about repairing the sub-frame at all! Flattening bent sheet metal and installing the A-spec plate would do it, according to this theory, because mounting locations for the plate is mainly on A-arms, or something? In other words, different mounting locations.

    Would anyone like to shed light on how I'd go about the fix? Thanks.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 31, 2006 02:16 AM: Message edited by: A-dub5513 ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •